Insalata di finocchio
This light and refreshing salad is ideal to serve with spicy or rich foods.
Serves 4. From The Italian Ingredients Cookbook
- 2 oranges (use blood oranges, if available—the color is beautiful!)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 oz. arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup black olives (Kalamata or similar)
For the Dressing
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- With a vegetable peeler, cut strips of rind from the oranges, leaving the pith behind, and cut into thin julienne strips. Cook in boiling water for a few minutes. Drain. Peel the oranges, removing all the white pith. Slice them into thin rounds and discard any seeds.
- Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise and slice across the bulb as thinly as possible, preferably in a food processor fitted with a slicing disc or using a mandoline.
- Combine the oranges and fennel in a serving bowl and toss with the arugula leaves.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning and pour over the salad, toss together well and let stand for a few minutes. Sprinkle with the black olives and julienne strips of orange.